I am currently attending the Global Learning Institute for Professional Development at Punahou School, because I want to learn how to prepare for my students for a more global society using the library & technology curriculum.
Day 1 Reflection (Tuesday, July 28, 2015)
Today, I met teachers from all over the world and learned how their school is moving towards a more global curriculum. I was fascinated by the diversity in approach to promote global understanding. One of my favorites was the link between culture and sustainability, because it encouraged not just knowledge of other countries, but global leadership to make the world a better place.
Guest speaker Robert Landau, newly appointed executive director of the Hawaii Association of Independent Schools, and his vision towards making a quality education accessible to all students. He shared his experiences working abroad. His mission statement from his former school in China to "connect, inspire, challenge, and make a difference" beautifully summarized our ultimate goals in global education.
About Sacred Hearts Academy Honolulu
1. Link to school website: https://www.sacredhearts.org
2. School mission statement: The mission of the Academy is to educate young women to: COMMIT to God's compassionate love revealed in the Hearts of Jesus and Mary. TAKE RESPONSIBILITY for their own lives. CONTRIBUTE positively to the world around them. VALUE life-long learning.
3. School curriculum: http://www.sacredhearts.org/academics
4. What makes your school special? Largest all girl school in Hawaii. JK-12th grade Catholic school. 100% are accepted into college.
Significant events, programs, unique selling proposition? Selected as a recipient of Schools Of the Future Grant. To learn about major accomplishments, click here http://www.sacredhearts.org/publications
5. What is the reputation of your school in your community, positive and negative? Positive. Lots of community service involvement, strong alumni, and leaders in STEM for girls.
6. How does local and global collaboration look in your school community? Very open to progress! We're coordinating a conference about global education on Sept. 19. https://www.sacredhearts.org/international-students
7. Pic of you and your students attending SGLI2015: N/A